Wanderlust Wednesday- How to Save Money for Traveling
Hello there! I hope everyone is having a great week! This week’s edition of Wanderlust Wednesday I wanted to do a post on how I save up for traveling. I work at a pizza place part time and am a full time student, so my family can never understand how I manage to fund these trips, but it’s really not as hard as it seems, and I wanted to share my top *nine* tips of how I get my extra money.
- Don’t spend your money on things you don’t need! This is the biggest one. I’m not saying that I never splurge or buy foolish things, but I don’t do it very often. I don’t have a new flat screen TV, an iPhone, and I don’t get coffee or food out very often. It really does save a significant amount of money.
- When you buy things use coupons. It’s pretty easy these days to find a coupon for just about everything you need. Then when you save that money, put that money you were going to spend anyway to the side.
- Save and cash in cans. I was buying sodas and sweet teas all the time, so I decided to buy a 12-pack of soda for less than the price of 2 sodas or teas and then when you finish them, throw them in a bag and take them to your local scrap-metal buyers. It’s not a ton of money, but every bit counts.
- Pick up change. All of my friends used to judge me when we were walking in somewhere and I would stop to bend down and pick up the pennies. It sounds really silly when you hear it, I know, but I find about 20 dollars every year, just picking up change when I walk in somewhere. It’s literally free money!
- When extra money comes your way, put it away for a trip. When I get money for my birthday, or tax returns, or a bonus, I put at least half of it away to help save for a trip! It’s that easy!
- Take a hobby and turn it into extra cash. I take family portraits, senior pictures and engagement photos for people on the side, and make crafty things to sell at craft fairs! They’re things I enjoy and would make anyway, but now I get to make a little extra money to float towards my travel funds.
- Walk or bike. I think this is going to be a biggie this year! I hope that gas doesn’t get up to 5 dollars a gallon, but I’m doing as much biking as possible to not foolishly use that gas!
- Find entertainment in free or cheap things. Go to the park, go on a walk, watch a movie or cook dinner at home, or bust out a board game! It’s just as fun as long as you’re in good company!
- Find a way to be able to visualize what you’re saving. I think it’s really important to be able to see what you’re saving because you feel like you’re putting a dent in your vacation. I have huge jars that I put my money in that I save, or you can make a chart to show savings and fill it in… There are a lot of ways to do this, but I think a visual helps you feel like you’re accomplishing something.
Hopefully you guys found these tips helpful, and I would LOVE to hear how you guys pinch your pennies! I’m always looking for new ways get save so I can get out and see more of this beautiful world!